Friday 20 May 2016

Another Re-Org in the Geek Cave

A collector's work is never done, especially where making display space is involved.

For awhile now, I've been toying with the idea of switching the G3 and G4 displays in the Cave.  The G4s are currently in the closet, while the G3s are on shelves to the right.  So far, this has worked well, as the G4s don't take up a lot of space.

That is, until another giant castle showed up.
Giant Castle.  One inch too tall for the closet space
I love the castle, I think it's one of the prettiest playsets Hasbro has done in awhile.  But that sucker is HUGE!  In fact, it's so huge, it's too tall to fit in the closet.  So Canterlot has forced my hand, and if I ever want to have a different playset on my display table, I've got to make the G3-G4 switch now.  And I think it makes sense to move the G3s into a more confined space, since that line is complete and I only have a few more pieces I want to add (only ponies, not playsets, thankfully)

I've spent the last couple of months getting ready for this.  I finished cleaning all my G3s so I won't have to keep track of who's left to do when I'm shifting them.  I've cleared a path so I can relocate everything with the least amount of angst.  And I've blocked off time on the first long weekend of summer to get this done (who says I don't know how to have a good time on a long weekend?)

Also, I really want to get this done before the Fair.  The Fair is where I do 90% of my collection shopping for the year.  Naturally, this means that there is going to be a large influx of new ponies and accessories in July.  Rather than trying to deal with both new and old collection pieces, I want to get the existing collection sorted out ahead of time.  It means more of a crunch before the Fair, but I think it will be well worth the work afterward.

Updates will be forthcoming in the next blog post.  Until then, here are the "before" pictures.
G3s live here
The blending of G3 and G4
G4s in the closet, with Canterlot in the foreground
Wish me luck,

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment