Friday 14 February 2014

2014 will be the year that I finally catalogue my collection!

I have spoken on the blog before (somewhere, I'm sure) on my plans to catalogue my entire collection.  It's been a goal for about 4 years running now, but it has always gotten put aside and I've never made much progress on it.  This year is going to be different.  This year I have some friends who have set goals for themselves too.  They've formed a group where every week we report on what our goals for the week are, and how we're doing on them.  Accountability will finally be the motivator that gets my collection in order!
What exactly is involved in cataloguing a collection?  For me, there are several steps.  I have an Excel spreadsheet where I record what I have, what I want, and what condition it's in.  I also have plans to take photos of everything (everything!) and post those online.  The final step will be having things sorted in the Geek Cave (meaning that everything will be displayed or stored in a way that it's available, safe, and enjoyable).
Why catalogue?  Show me a pony and I can tell you right away if I have her or not.  I can tell you what condition she's in.  I can probably tell you if I have the accessories that go with her.  So, no, I probably don't need a catalogue.  But it's good to have for a few reasons.  For insurance purposes, I'll have photographic evidence of everything I own.  For friend purposes, people can see exactly what I have, making birthday gift purchases easier.  And for community purposes, it's a way for me to share my collection with other collectors.
Also, I just really like making lists and playing with ponies.  :P

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment