Friday 27 August 2021

Series Speculation

I bought a thing

Actually six things.

I wonder if collectors all have a particular kryptonite?  One of mine is that I can’t pass up a special series.

This is slightly odd, as with the main bulk of my collection, the brushables, I’m not a completionist at all.  Which is not to say that I don’t have complete sets (I have several) but in instances where I decide that I only want 5 of the 6 ponies offered, I have no problem with passing up the 6th pony and considering that set complete for me.

Sorry, Tassles

It gets different when we get into special sets.  Suddenly it’s like I’m chasing Pokemon and no, I don’t want just one, I want to catch them all!  Slap an anniversary sticker on it, or make a convenient collection of all the main characters, and I am on that like a sweet tooth on discounted high end ice cream (this also applies to me). 

Funnily enough, with the original 6 Basic Fun ponies, I had intended to only get Snuzzle and Cotton Candy.  My cousin happened to get me the other four ponies for Christmas that year.  Clearly the universe intended me to have all six.  At least I managed to keep the Rainbow ponies down to only my three favourites (Windy, Moonstone, and Skydancer).

There is an element of sense in this.  The set still has to appeal to me.  I won't pick up a special set just for the sake of having it.  There is still an aspect of curation here, even if it's slightly overshadowed by a bit of mania.

I don't see a change in my mentality happening here any time soon, and that's not a problem until I run out of space. As that hasn't hapened yet (I'm surprised too), I'm not overly concerned.  It gives me another fun aspect of the collection to ponder and go on about.

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment