Friday 10 July 2020

Geek Cave Tour 2020 Part 6

Continuing on with the multi-week virtual tour of the Geek Cave.  I'm going to post pictures and discuss one shelving unit a week for the foreseeable future.  I'm also going to switch up generations, areas of the Cave, and even types of collection as I feel like it.

This time we're adding some POP to the mix!
Roomy's vintage POP, that is.  The Princess of Power vintage line only lasted three years, so Roomy has most of the figures, including a rare complete Spinerella at the bottom right of this picture. The POP line didn't follow the She-Ra cartoon that much in terms of how the characters appeared, but the toy line had some fantastic designs.  It's a very shiny line, it's a wonder there wasn't tinsel in their hair as well as all the metallic and holographic material on their clothes and accessories.
There are also some variations within the main POP line, as well as 'nirvana' variants from various countries (often made by the same toy countries that made MLP nirvanas) and fashions, so Roomy still has things to collect. The majority of the main line variations involve colour variations in hair, jewels, or paint, with Castaspella's varying boot paint patterns being among the most obvious. The artwork on the POP packaging is some of my favourite 80's toy art. It's just stunning, they don't make toy packaging like they used to.
The lower shelves of Roomy's POP display is the stables, with various horses (and one cat) ready to spring into action.  The central Spirit and Swift Wind on the lower shelf were my childhood toys.  I love the pose that was created for these horses.  It's dynamic, but they also stand solidly, a combination that is often lacking in toy design.
The bottom two shelves are part of my G2 display.  The G2s are displayed along the same lines as the G4s.  That is to say, they're displayed on and around their playsets.  I quite like the G2 designs (even the body shape has grown on me), but there aren't that many more that I want to add to my collection.  This is why they have only a few shelves of display space in the Cave (there are more that we'll see later).  I really like the playsets that were made for this line.  There are a lot of details and fun accessories that make them really interesting.  It's a shame there was no narrative in a cartoon to support this line, I think Friendship Gardens could have been a magical addition to Ponyland.

That's all for now.  PS: did you spot Look-ee on the She-Ra shelves?

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment