Friday 1 May 2020

Geek Cave Tour 2020 Part 1

None of us are going anywhere in the near future, so how about a virtual tour of the Geek Cave?

I'm going to post pictures and discuss one shelving unit a week for the foreseeable future.  I'm also going to switch up generations, areas of the Cave, and even types of collection as I feel like it.

But let's start out right by the door, on the first G1 shelf.
The top shelf is where the Flutters and Wingers live.  I have all the Flutter ponies (but several are still in need of wings), and I'm missing only three Windy Wing ponies.  I have a love-hate relationship with Flutter Ponies.  I love that they're so delicate and graceful looking, and I hate how easily their wings break.  I also love many of the alternate custom wings that people make for them, but I want my herd to have all original-looking wings.  All the girls who have wings here have original wings, except one who is wearing repro wings, and all the originals have been repaired except one pair that is miraculously still in one piece.  I imagine the Summer and Windy Wing ponies also live in Flutter Valley, possibly higher up in the mountains.

The original 6 Rainbow Ponies were some of my favourites as a child, and I'm still a sucker for any rainbow-styled MLP. I don't recall really noticing the second wave of Rainbow Ponies (possibly I didn't like them as much because of their changed hair colour), and I wasn't aware of the Raincurl Ponies or Rainbow Babies as a child, but I love them all now.  I finally "completed" my Rainbow set last summer when I finally bought Tickle.  I say "completed" because I definitely want to add some more nirvana ponies to this shelf, mainly Brazil Bow-Tie (so beautiful!), and I've had the itch to start a nirvana Windy army for some time.  But at least the Rainbow Ponies who were available in Canada are complete.  There's also one HQG1C custom pony on this shelf - Winter.  Oddly, as she's completely white I thought she fit well with the Rainbow Ponies.
Shelves three and four are a bit of a mish-mash.  On shelf three we have the UK Flower Ponies, various lovey/romantic themed ponies, and some musically-themed ponies.  There are quite a few UK ponies on this shelf.  I only became aware of the UK ponies existence as an adult collector and I'm either all in or all out on those sets.  I love the ones that have what I consider the classic MLP look about them: simple but lovely designs and simple colour schemes (often pastels).  I'm not at all keen on the ones with large noticeable gimmicks (that goes generally for any MLP), like the Rollerskate Ponies or the Hair-Do Ponies.

Shelf four has the Brush 'n Grows, Perfume Puffs, and other hairstyle/dress-up/beauty-themed ponies.  Also Locket, Painting Time, and their adopted babies.  I initially didn't like the Perfume Puff hair, or the fact that four of the six ponies in the set had perfume bottles as their symbols (originality, Hasbro?), but the set has grown on me.  I originally thought that I'd find ones with cut hair and rehair them with nylon, but the hair has grown on me too.  It's a collector's prerogative to change her mind.
Moving down the shelf, we have another mish-mash.  The Happy Tails Ponies and a few HQG1C customs who match well with them, as well as a few puppy and kitty pets.  I suppose that's why Snuzzle, Peachy, and Lemon Drop and their babies and pets are also here.  Rosette and Baby Blue Ribbon are hanging out with Lemon Drop, naturally.  Tex and his daughters are also here with their Fisher Price pet dog.  And Masquerade, Chief, and Wig-Wam are...just hanging out?

The Sweetheart Sisters have recently moved to this shelf.  I had real trouble with these girls for a long time.  I loved the look of most of them (their colours and symbols align well with my idea of Classic MLP), but I was not fond of the general look of them.  Eventually, I decided that they were simply a different "type" of Pony, like Flutter Ponies or Sea Ponies, and then I went to town collecting them.  I'm quite happy to have them now.
Finally, at the bottom we find two Pretty Parlours (the pink one is an Argentinian Parlour), various Snuzzles and Peachys who are different from the two in my "collection" (either by design or through aging), all my G1 minis, the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe, Kitchen, Bathtub, and my Takara fakie with two custom mini Takaras.  I'd like more Takara fakies (and eventually, Milky and Pinky!)  The playsets work well on the bottom shelves, where multiple levels of Pony would be difficult to see (especially here, where the shelf faces the display table, so it's hard to back up and take a look.

I started collecting the Mommy Charms and McD Happy Meal charms several years ago.  I'm not sure yet if I'll get all of them, but I like them.  I hadn't intended to start on the Petites, but a fortuitous trip to Value Village changed those plans.  I doubt I will get all of these, right now I'm just picking up the ones that catch my eye.  I also prefer the ones with molded tails, although the super curly tails are quite cute when they're in good shape.

So that's the beginning of our tour.  I hope you've enjoyed the first shelf of the Geek |Cave tour.  Join me in two weeks for the next shelf!

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment