Friday 15 May 2020

Geek Cave Tour 2020 Part 2

I'm doing a multi-week virtual tour of the Geek Cave.  I'm going to post pictures and discuss one shelving unit a week for the foreseeable future.  I'm also going to switch up generations, areas of the Cave, and even types of collection as I feel like it.

This week I'm moving from the 1980s into the 2010s, with a G4 shelf.
Displaying the G4s is a pain, pure and simple.  It would be easy if I only collected the Ponies, but if you've been reading the blog for awhile you know I have a weakness for playsets, castles in particular, which G4 had in spades.  So rather than have the Ponies all lined up like in Dream Valley, Ponyville has Ponies living in the playsets (this also makes it easier to display multiple versions of the Mane 6).

On the top shelf of this unit is Twilight's Castle.  It's actually two of Twilight's Castles displayed together, and with the rainbow slide removed from the Rainbow Friendship Castle (I think it looks much better this way).  Here we have the Mane 6, hanging out with the Reformed Villains Appreciation Society.  Pinkie Pie brought snacks.
 On the shelf below, we find the Crystal Empire (the geography here may be a bit sketchy).  Naturally, the pearlized ponies are living on this shelf, along with the Royal Family.  A pearlized Twilight Sparkle and Spike are also visiting.  The Breezies are also on this shelf, with some Ponies who've developed Breezie-like wings (I don't really know what to do with these three, other than have them hang out with the Breezies).  Eventually I will get some small shelves to fill in the empty spot beside the castle here, and better display the winged ponies.
This shelving unit is the Pony shelf with the most work needed.  Below the Crystal Empire we have a shelf of Princesses (unorganized, but mainly purple), as well as some recently-opened G4s who have yet to be integrated into the display.  I don't actually mind the extra designs on the Friendship Blossom Ponies, but I wish they hadn't used such a thick black outline on them.

The Princess Army was a bit of an accident.  Up until Twilight Sparkle became a princess, I had one of each G4 character, but I was not collecting multiples.  I intended to keep one original Twilight, and one Princess Twilight.  But Hasbro came out with multiple Princess Twilight designs in quick succession and I couldn't decide which one I liked best.  Roomy pointed out that I could, in fact, keep many of them (they're small), and...here we are, also with multiple Celestias, Lunas, a few Cadences, and one Nightmare Moon.
Finally, at the bottom of the shelf we have the Magical School of Friendship.  Poor Twilight, her school is all ready, but she has no students (looks pointedly at Hasbro).  I need to move some other G4s down to populate this shelf.  I do love the look of this set, but it doesn't have a lot of display space.  Still, it will look better surrounded by Ponies.

So that's the end of the tour for shelf week.  Join me next time for another shelf!

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment