Friday 23 April 2021

Why did I do this?

Even when you're really curating a collection, you might find yourself looking at part of it and asking, "remind me why I did this again."

I have a couple of areas in the Geek Cave that fall into this category.

I don't actually remember the moment when I decided I needed to have all 12 Birthflower Ponies. For the longest time I only had my own birth month.  I might possibly have gotten some of these in a large lot I bought and decided then to get them all.  I don't actually remember if this was the case, I just remember that in the summer of 2019 I was completing the collection and at the same time wondering how I got here.

I mean, they're lovely girls, but not exactly the most exciting shelf.  I keep trying to find a way to display them so their symbols (the only part of them that's different) are better displayed.  Clearly, I've not been overly successful in this.

I confuse myself over the 35th anniversary ponies. Why did I want them?  I already have these ponies, vintage, in great condition.  I'm not generally interested in doubles or in box items.  What am I doing here?  Obviously Basic Fun has hit on the correct nostalgia vibes for these girls, if someone who is neither a doubles collector nor a MIB collector is buying these and displaying them in this way.  They really don't fit the general parameters of my collection.

All I can say is that the 35th anniversary ponies make me happy in (almost) the same way that the original ponies do.  The original unicorns especially have always had a special place in my heart and I like having a second version of them (but they do take up quite a bit of space).

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret any of these purchases.  I just can't completely figure out how to account for them in my collection.  So I think about them, and I look at them, and I wonder about them.  And I enjoy having them even if I can't really understand or articulate why.  It's all part of the fun of collecting.

Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment